Ten Reasons To Go To Hvar
Suppose you're considering a trip to Croatia and looking for a destination that perfectly balances history, culture, and natural beauty. In that case, the island of Hvar should be on your list. Here are some of the top reasons why you should visit Hvar this summer:
1. Enjoy the Sunshine: Hvar is one of the sunniest spots in Europe, boasting around 2,760 hours of sunshine per year. If you're looking to soak up the sun, Hvar is your perfect destination.
2. Beautiful Scenery: Hvar is renowned for its stunning scenery, from picturesque towns and villages to hillsides covered in pine forests, vineyards, olive groves, and lavender fields. You'll find plenty of photo-worthy spots on the island.
3. Clear Blue Waters: The waters off the coast of Hvar are some of the clearest you'll ever see, with a beautiful translucent quality that allows you to see right to the bottom. Dip in the crystal-clear waters and enjoy swimming and snorkelling in paradise.
4. Rich Historical Heritage: Hvar has a fascinating history that spans centuries, and the island has been an important trading hub since ancient times. You can explore the island's historical heritage by visiting the ancient city of Stari Grad, one of the oldest settlements in Croatia, or by admiring the Venetian architecture in Hvar Town.
5. Plenty to Explore: Hvar has much to offer regarding sightseeing and adventure. You can explore the charming fishing villages of Milna, Vrboska, and Zavala, visit the Franciscan Monastery in Hvar Town, or pedal through the island's lush green landscapes. You can also sail around the Pakleni Islands and discover hidden bays and coves along the southern coast.
6. Heavenly Scents: Hvar is famous for its fragrant scents, with rosemary, lavender, sage, thyme, wild oregano, and many other herbs growing all over the island. Take a leisurely hike through the hills and discover the island's delightful aromas.
7. A Foodie's Paradise: Hvar is a food lover's paradise, with traditional Dalmatian cuisine seasoned with plenty of olive oil, garlic, spices, and herbs. You can also indulge in various black truffle dishes and enjoy a glass of delicious local wine with your meal.
8. Friendly Locals: The locals in Hvar are known for their welcoming and friendly nature, and they're always happy to help wherever they can. If you need any tips or recommendations on what to see and do on the island, don't hesitate to ask the locals.
9. Lively Party Scene: If you're looking for a good time, Hvar won't disappoint. The island has a lively party scene, with beach parties, colourful bars, and bustling club scenes that cater to all tastes. However, be sure to respect the local community and avoid public drunkenness.
10. Easy to Access: Getting to Hvar is easy, with daily catamarans from Split to Hvar Town taking just over an hour and ferries to Stari Grad taking 1.5 hours. The journey time from Dubrovnik is between 3 and 3.5 hours. Once you arrive on the island, you'll find everything within easy reach, making it the perfect destination for a summer getaway.